Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chapter Four: pg 109-115


School Lunch
Pooja Makhijani's narrative is a look into a period of time during her youth when she felt different, and "left out". The narrative was ironic for me, in the sense that, I expected Poooja to overcome her embarassment for her culture when the other Pakistani girl was introduced. But instead, this character seemed to aid her in her "coversion" to one of the other girls. Aisha supplies Pooja with mini pizzas, and various other white foods, while Pooja gives her traditional Pakastani foods; this whole arragnment seems almost unfair to Pooja's mom. I guess it's up to Pooja what she wants to eat, but I feel that Pooja did not really try and persuade her mom, instead Pooja casually lies and trades food to feel less distant from the girls she wanted to be like.

Eggs
In Aba Opincar's narrative, I was totally set back from Aba's lack of respect for his mother. His narrative reminded me of Judy Brady's "I Want A Wife" essay, for Aba talks about all the things his mother does for the family, but has no gratitude.

No comments: